Translate

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Week 3

On page 37, Ishmael writes, “This was one of the consequences of the civil war. People stopped trusting each other, and every stranger became an enemy.” I have felt this way sometimes, but not as extreme as Ishmael has. Some days when I'm having a particularly bad day I can feel the everyone I meet, everything I see, basically the whole world, is out to get me. In Ishmael's case a great deal of people that are in his country are out to get him, but the feelings are mutual. Some other times Ishmael feels that every stranger is an enemy is on page 99. Ishmael was being lead to a local village by a man he once knew, from his original village of 
Mogbwemo, to see his family again for this first time again in many long, long months. Right as he is nearing the village, rebels enter the community and burn it to the ground while shooting the fleeing refugees. Seeing this Ishmael gets very mad and frustrated at his luck, but he still continues on to see if there are any remains of his parents and brother left.  He stays in the village too long and rebels see him and the other boys and chase them out of the village while shooting machine guns.  Just as they feel they have reached safety Ishmael releases the older man has been shot, and he soon passes away. At that moment Ishmael is stunned, confused, and slightly angry at the world. He thinks that every stranger he meets is against him because of the future events.  

3 comments:

  1. Georgia, I didn't think of that when i was writing my blog post, but you are totally right. some days when you are feeling crabby, no matter what anyone says it makes you angry and you feel that you can't trust them. I'm not really sure i think that the example you used from page 99 is really an example of the quote from page 37. In some ways it could be, because it made him less trust worthy in the future, but i think you should give a quote to show the effects of his experience.
    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgia-
    When I was reading your response I found myself nodding my head. I totally agree with you, when I'm having a bad day I'm kind of, paranoid. I feel like Ishmael will always be much more careful before he trusts people, like you said, because of what has happened to him. As well as future events that will occur. You did a great job!

    -Zoe Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Georgia-
    Very interesting point. I like how you use exact points in the book to back up your ideas. I think we all have experienced these feelings of not trusting anyone at all at one time or another, but I don't think any of us can say we've experienced it to the degree that Ishmael did.
    -Amanda Pierce

    ReplyDelete