Translate

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Week 2

The book A Long Way Gone, by Ishmael Beah,  is a first hand report of what life is like in the civil-war savaged country of Sierra Leone. In the novel Ishmael is faced with many horrific events while on his travels, but he sometimes finds joys in things. Two of these things are natural events: the presence of the moon and the large waves of the Atlantic Ocean. "Even in the middle of the madness there remained that true and natural beauty, and it took my  mind away from my current situation as I marveled at this sight," Ishamael says about the ocean. I think these things console him more than others because they were pure and could not be tainted by man. These things, especially the moon, have been with him since childhood and have not changed. Things that console Ishmael also console me. The moon is a great comfort because no matter what choices I've chosen or mistakes I've made it will always been unchanging. It's very relaxing to know that some things people cannot  alter or remove, no matter how hard they try, and I feel that Ishamael thinks the same way too.

3 comments:

  1. Georgia,
    I completely agree with you in saying that things in nature console him. These things are unchanging and are basically something to hold onto while everything around him is constantly changing. I also think that he holds onto memories as well as things that are currently there, because it reminds him of good times, just like the moon does. Great job!
    -Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgia-
    I absolutely agree with you. That's an interesting point I skipped over and it is good to know. I also think that the memories of Ismael's past help him have the will to live into the future. I believe that these memories along with the nature you mentioned help Ishmael to realize that there is still good and safety in the world and this propels him to look for it. I like the way you are always finding the more hidden meanings of everything:)
    -Amanda Pierce

    ReplyDelete